Amy’s Chili Mac
Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Dish Size: 4-Quart Baker
This kid (and adult!) friendly recipe by my best friend Amy is so easy to throw together, even though it starts with preparing your own homemade chili. If you've got an hour, you've got dinner...and probably a nice amount of leftovers for lunch the next day! - Tara
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 10-ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- Boil elbow macaroni for 2 minutes less than stated in package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Transfer to a 4-quart temp-tations® baking dish (rectangular is best).
- Add ground beef and onions to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown well, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cheese to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Pour chili mixture over macaroni in baking dish and stir until everything is completely incorporated. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, uncover, and top with Cheddar Jack cheese. Return to oven and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is very bubbly and beginning to brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
If you are in a pinch, you can skip the skillet and make this a little less homemade by substituting 3 cans of chunky chili in place of everything but the macaroni and Cheddar Jack cheese. Simply mix the chili into the macaroni right out of the can and continue the recipe as written.