Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 angel food cake mix
- 2 14-ounce cans chocolate frosting*
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Cool completely.
- Warm frosting slightly to make spreading easier. Frost and decorate as you like.
This is Tara’s favorite cake and I made it for her birthday every year. Back when she was a child, frosting in a can did not exist. Now, like so many things in the supermarket, there are very good frostings out there… however if you want to make your own, my favorite recipe is below!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 3 sticks butter,softened
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add butter and cocoa to the bowl of a stand mixer. Cream together until combined.
- Add sugar and milk (1 cup sugar and ¼ cup milk at a time), beating on high after each addition.
- Add vanilla with last addition.If too wet or dry, add milk or more sugar until it reaches the consistency you like.