Apple Leek Cheddar Tart
Total Time: 50 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25-30 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Dish Size: Baking Sheet
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 1-4 sprigs thyme
- 1 2-inch sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 large or 3 small honeycrisp apples, sliced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 cups freshly grated extra sharp cheddar cheese*
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté leeks, thyme, rosemary, and garlic until leeks are slightly softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add white wine and bring liquid to a simmer. Add apples and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, turning apples occasionally. Remove pan from heat and let mixture cool. Remove garlic clove and herbs.
- On a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, roll sheet of puff pastry to a rectangle about 13x11 inches. Transfer to a baking sheet. With egg wash create a ½-inch border around pastry. Fold edges in about ½-inch, creating a double crust.
- Sprinkle ½ of the grated cheddar over crust. Carefully put apple/leek mixture over cheese. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top and then finish with remaining cheddar. Brush edges with egg wash.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20-25 minutes or until pastry crust is nicely browned and crisp.
*Whenever possible grate your own cheese from a block. The pre-grated packaged cheese has an additive to prevent clumping and just doesn’t melt the same way.