Asian Beef (Instant Pot)
Total Time: 1 hr, 15 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 6-8 servings
Dish Size: Platter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-3 lbs.)
- 1 cup beef broth*
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 6 scallions, sliced on the bias (white and green parts separate)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3-4 cups cooked white rice
- Heat Instant Pot on sauté. Add olive oil.
- Brown beef on all sides (don’t skip this step—it really improves flavor).
- While beef is browning, in a separate small bowl mix together beef broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and ginger. Stir in white parts of scallions (reserve green for garnish).
- Pour sauce over browned beef, turning to coat.
- Set Instant Pot to meat/stew and set time for 50 minutes. Let pressure come down naturally—it does affect the texture of the meat.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board. Slice or shred meat.
- Mix cornstarch with water. With Instant Pot on sauté, cook 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Add beef back to sauce and heat through.
- On a platter, arrange beef over rice and garnish with green parts of scallions.
For the beef broth I’ve been using a beef base product in a jar. Unless you’re going to use a lot of broth, the containers and cans create a lot of waste.