Boston Cream Pie
Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 35 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Yield: 10 servings
Dish Size: Cake Pan
- 1 yellow cake mix, prepared
- 4 egg yolks (room temperature), lightly beaten
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp corn syrup
- ½ cup heavy shipping cream
- For Cake: Generously butter and flour 2 9-inch cake pans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter in pans, smoothing tops.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven according to package directions. Set aside to cool completely.
- For Cream: In a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat mix sugar, cornstarch, and milk until smooth. Bring to gentle boil. Slowly mix in egg yolks, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- For Ganache: In a glass cup heat heavy cream in microwave until simmering.
- In a small bowl mix chocolate chips with corn syrup. Pour hot cream over chips, then let stand for 30-45 seconds and mix until smooth.
- To Assemble: On a cake plate set down a layer of cake. Spread pastry cream evenly over cake to ½ inch from edges. Place second layer on top, pressing gently.
- Pour chocolate ganache over cake, allowing some to drip down sides.