Brown Rice and Veggie Stuffed Peppers
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
Yield: 4 servings
Dish Size: 1.5 Quart
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 links Italian-style smoked chicken sausage (6 ounces), diced into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped into ½-inch pieces(about 2 cups)
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, or 3 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups cooked instant brown rice
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 1 minute. Add the zucchini and sausage and cook until vegetables have softened and sausage begins to brown, about 3 minutes more. Add the spinach, salt, red pepper flakes, and zest and cook until spinach is just wilted; remove from heat.
- Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water, and cooked rice.
- Cut the very top off each of the peppers, and remove the seeds and stems inside.
- Pour marinara in the bottom of a 1.5-quart temp-tations® baker. Place peppers in the sauce and divide the rice mixture between the 4 peppers, packing peppers completely with the filling.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook 10 minutes more. Serve peppers with the marinara spooned over the top.
Tell us what you think!