- 1 and a half sticks of butter
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 1lb dry macaroni pasta
- 8 oz. panko bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced very fine
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 8 oz sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 8 oz creamy Havarti, shredded
- 8 oz brie cheese, rind peeled off and cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a large pot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter, when the butter is melted whisk in ¼ cup of flour. Stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes, so the flour cooks a little.
- Slowly whisk in 3 cups of milk and 2 cups of water. Add macaroni noodles to the pot.
- Bring the pot up to a boil and cook the noodles until al dente, about 8 minutes
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the other stick of butter in the microwave, grate the cloves of garlic in using a microplane or zester. Add the cayenne and parsley to the butter, stir and add the butter to the panko bread crumbs. Toss well, leave to the side.
- When the pasta is done cooking, add your cheese and stir until its all melted and ooey gooey.
- Add macaroni to your 9 x13 pan, top with the bread crumbs
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until the top is golden. Garnish with thyme and serve immediately, enjoy!