David Venable’s Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Dish Size: 4-Quart Baking Dish
As if ooey, gooey mac ‘n cheese wasn’t decadent enough, you can thank my good friend David Venable for adding bacon. Or “divine swine”, as he likes to call it ;) This recipe hails from David’s new cookbook, and I just couldn’t resist sharing it with you. Featuring five different kinds of cheese (count ‘em, five!), it’s no wonder it's his "Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese."
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tspkosher salt, divided
- ¾ lb.cavatappi, rotini, or fusilli pasta
- 3 cupshalf-and-half
- 2large eggs
- 1 cupmilk
- 1 cup (4 ounces)shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup (4 ounces)shredded Monterey Jack
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cubed
- ¼ cup (1 ounce)freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1½ cups(6 ounces) shredded extra sharp cheddar, divided
- 2 tspdry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta, then cook until tender but still firm to the bite, 8-10 minutes. Drain pasta in a colander and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat half-and-half in a large saucepan over medium heat. Just before the mixture starts to boil, remove pan from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, then whisk in 2 cups of the warm half-and-half (this will keep the eggs from scrambling). Pour egg mixture into the saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Stir milk, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Velveeta, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and 1 cup of the cheddar into the saucepan. Heat the saucepan on medium-low heat to help melt the cheese. Whisk in mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Do not let mixture boil.
- Toss cooked pasta and cheese sauce together, then pour into a 4-quart baking dish. Top with remaining ½ cup cheddar.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle an even layer of crumbled bacon on top and bake for 10 minutes more.
* Recipe from David Venable’s Cookbook: In the Kitchen with David: QVC’s Resident Foodie Presents Comfort Foods That Take You Home.