Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 20 mins + rising time
Cook Time: 25 mins
Yield: 8-10 servings
Dish: Mixing Bowl
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 pkgs (1/4 oz) or 3 tsps. Yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 – 6-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter,cubed
- 4 large eggs (room temperature)
- 3 – 6 hard boiled, dyed eggs
- Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl mix sugar, yeast, cinnamon, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, over medium low heat milk and butter to 120-130 degrees. Add to dry ingredients. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add 3 eggs, beat on high 2 minutes. (Retaining 1 egg for egg wash). Stir in the remaining cups of flour to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface knead the dough until smooth and elastic – 6 – 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size – about 45 minutes.
- Punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into thirds, rolling each portion into a 24 inch rope. Place the ropes onto a lightly greased baking pan and braid. Bring the ends together to form a ring, pinching the ends to seal. Coat the dyed eggs lightly with oil and arrange on the bread.
- Cover the bread with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled – 20 – 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat the remaining egg and water. Brush the wash over the braid. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.