Lamb Shanks with Apricots & Chickpeas
Total time: 2 hrs, 15 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1½-2 hrs
Yield: 4 servings
Dish Size: Dutch Oven
- 2-4 lamb shanks
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- If lamb shanks are in a cryopak, rinse in cool water and pat dry.
- Generously season with salt and pepper.
- In a heavy bottom pot or temp-tations® Dutch oven, over medium heat brown one side of lamb shanks. Turn over to other side, add onion, and continue to brown until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 20 seconds more. Pour in white wine if using, and cook for 5 minutes or so.
- Add bay leaf, rosemary, paprika, dried apricots, and chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cover and cook 1 hour.
- Add carrots and chickpeas and continue to simmer until carrots are tender and lamb is almost falling off the bone, about 30 more minutes.
- You can remove meat from bones to serve or give one shank to each portion.
- Serve with bread or rolls to dip into rich gravy.