Total Time: 50 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings
Equipment: soup bowls & mugs
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs*
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ cups carrots, diced
- ¼ cup onions, diced
- ¾ cup celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10-12 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup acini de pepe or orzo pasta
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- freshly shredded parmesan, for serving
- For meatballs: Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently toss with your hands until mixed. Form into 1-inch balls.
- In a heavy bottom skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté meatballs until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- For soup: While meatballs are browning, heat olive oil in a large soup pot.Add carrots, onion, and celery and sauté until veggies are tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for an additional minute. Add meatballs.
- Pour in chicken broth, bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook until pasta is tender and meatballs have cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach in last few minutes of cooking. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Tara's Tip: Fresh bread crumbs can be made with a slice or two of Italian bread in a food processor.