Turkey Meatball and Ziti Casserole
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 55 mins
Yield: 8 servings
Dish Size: 4-Quart Baker
Turkey Meatball and Ziti Casserole is yummy, make-ahead, and freezer-friendly! It’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners. - Tara
- 1 package lean ground turkey (about 1.3 lbs.)
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tspolive oil
- 1 1-lb. boxziti
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 2 cupsshredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a large temp-tations® bowl, combine turkey, onion, parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until well-combined.
- Add oil to a 4-quart temp-tations® baker. Form meat mixture into ball shapes, using a tablespoon measure. Add meatballs to oiled baker (there should be 36 meatballs).
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes or until just cooked through. (At this point, meatballs can be cooled and frozen for up to one month. Freeze in a single layer for 1 hour, and then transfer to a Ziploc bag to save space. When you’re ready to make the casserole, simply defrost meatballs and proceed with recipe.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, and set aside.
- Once meatballs are finished cooking, drain off any liquid. Add pasta, sauce, and half of the cheese to baker. Stir until well combined with meatballs. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover with foil or a temp-tations Lid-it®, and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5 minutes.
If making casserole ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight or freeze for up to one month. When ready to serve, defrost in refrigerator overnight or take directly from freezer. Place covered baker in cold oven; turn oven on and allow baker and oven to preheat together. Bake refrigerated casserole at 400°F for 55 minutes. Bake frozen casserole at 400°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes.