Brown Rice Pilaf
Brown Rice Pilaf
Total Time: 40 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yield: 4 servings
Dish Size: 1.5 Quart
On the stove, whole grain brown rice takes almost an hour to cook! Thankfully, the time is cut way down in this recipe by microwaving right in a temp-tations® baking dish. Though it may seem underdone if you're not familiar with it, whole grain brown rice is chewier and heartier than white rice, which makes it more satisfying and makes it work well as a pilaf. - Tara
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ cup diced button or baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup whole grain brown rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1¼ cups water
- ¼ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place butter, yellow onion, mushrooms, and garlic in a 1.5-quart temp-tations® baking dish. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add rice, chicken broth, water, poultry seasoning, and slivered almonds, and stir until combined. Cover with plastic wrap, and use a fork to pierce top of wrap in center. Microwave on high for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove wrap (dish will be very hot!) and stir. Return to microwave uncovered and heat on high an additional 10 minutes.
- Stir one final time. Return to microwave and heat on high for 5 more minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, salt and pepper to taste, and fluff with a fork. Before serving, garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Tara’s Tidbits®Stir in ⅓ cup dried cranberries after removing from the microwave to turn this into a great Holiday Brown Rice Stuffing. To make this recipe vegetarian, simply substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.