Total Time: 1 hr
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 40-45 mins
Yield: 4-6 servings
Dish Size: Serving Tray or Platter
- 4 – 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt & ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (28oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste (I prefer to use tomato paste in the tube – it has a very long shelf life in the fridge)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp Italian herb blend
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- hot cooked pasta
- grated parmesan cheese
- Generously season chicken thighs on both sides with half of the salt.
- Dredge in flour seasoned with remaining salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the chicken in the olive oil and butter. Remove chicken to a platter.
- In the same skillet, cook the onions and mushrooms until the onions begin to soften (5 – 7 minutes). Stir in garlic and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, herbs and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, cover and cook for 30 – 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over cooked pasta – generously sprinkle with parmesan cheese.