Chicken Fricassee with Herb Dumplings
Total Time: 1 hr, 20 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 4-6 servings
Dish Size: Dutch Oven
- 1 cut-up whole chicken, 3-4 lbs.
- 2-4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups biscuit mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tbsp chives, minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour, optional
- ½ cup half & half, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown chicken pieces. Remove chicken to a platter and sauté carrots, onions, and celery just until onions soften.
- Stir in chicken stock and herbs. Bring to a boil, add chicken, and reduce to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes or so until chicken juices run clear. Remove herbs.
- In a small bowl combine biscuit mix and chives. Combine egg and milk, then add to biscuit mix. Stir just until moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto simmering chicken. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, cover, and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove dumplings and set aside. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Skim any fat if necessary.
- If broth is too thin, mix all-purpose flour with half & half and pour into broth. Bring to a boil to thicken gravy.