Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Total Time: 1 hr, 5 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30-45 mins
Yield: 12 servings
Dish Size: 9-Inch Cake Pan, Plate
- 6 Tbsp softened butter (plus 3 Tbsp for pan)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (plus ½ cup sugar for pan)
- 1 lb. cranberries, washed and patted dry
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange rind
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup red currant jelly
- Butter bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan with 3 tablespoons butter, then sprinkle ½ cup sugar evenly over bottom of pan. Arrange cranberries in pan.
- In a large bowl cream 6 tablespoons butter and ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and orange rind and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix flour with baking powder and salt.
- With mixer on low speed, beat flour mixture and milk into butter mixture (½ cup flour at a time alternating with milk until combined).
- Pour batter over cranberries, smoothing the top.
- Bake cake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30-45 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake on a rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around inside of pan and invert cake onto a temp-tations® plate.
- Melt currant jelly in a small sauce pan or microwave and brush over cake.
This festive cake is a great ending for Christmas Dinner!