Total Time: 20 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs. fresh ripe tomatoes, quartered, peeled, and seeded**
- 1 cup reserved juice from tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano, or 6-8 leaves
- 1 tsp basil, or 6-8 leaves (chiffonade more for garnish)
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processer and process on low speed until desired consistency is achieved. This is a matter of personal preference; you can leave some texture or process until smooth.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Serve with flavored croutons and garnish with basil.
** Three baseball-size tomatoes will equal about a pound. To peel tomatoes, bring water to boil in a large pot. Make an X in the bottom of each tomato with a paring knife. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 15 seconds. Transfer to an ice bath and allow to cool until you can handle them—about 1 minute. The skin should pop right off. Seed and core tomatoes over a fine strainer on top of a bowl to retain juice. Retain about 1 cup of juice to add to soup.