Grilled Mac N’ Cheese Sandwich
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 40 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yield: 4 servings
Dish Size: 8x8 Baker
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1½ cups orange cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1½ cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices hearty Italian bread
- 8 slices American cheese
- ¾ cup butter
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- Meanwhile place 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Once melted, whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in milk. Whisk frequently for about 5 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper, cooked pasta, and half of each shredded cheese. Pour into your temp-tations® 8x8 baker. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Cool completely and cut into four blocks. Set aside until slightly cooled.
- To make the sandwich, place a frying pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Butter one side of each bread slice. Place four slices, butter side down, on griddle. Lay one slice of American cheese on each one. Top with one block of macaroni and cheese followed by one more piece of American cheese and the top slice of bread, butter side out. Loosely cover with a large pot or lid. This will help the macaroni and cheese melt.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Carefully flip over and cook for another 5 minutes. Cut and serve.