2 boxes lemon cake mix, prepared using directions on the box (remember to double the recipe on one box)
- 3 standard containers of whipped, cream cheese frosting, divided
1/2 jar orange marmalade (enough for approximately 8 Tbsp)
1 fresh orange for zesting
Cakes too hot for frosting? Try cooling your cake sections in the freezer for a while to get them extra chilled.
When assembling the cake, I put a dollop of frosting right in the center of the serving plate and lay the first cake layer on top. It helps keep the finished cake in place!
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Mix wet ingredients before adding dry ingredients. Add orange zest.
- Beat with a hand or stand mixer for 2 minutes. Pour the mixture into 3, 9-inch cake rounds (or 3 temp-tations pie plates). Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Turn cakes out of pie plates when they are cooled. Cool completely before icing.
- Empty 2 containers of icing into a bowl and mix a little so it's easier to work with. Fill the piping bag with the third container.
- Place the first cake layer onto a serving platter or cake plate.
- Ice the top of the layer and spread some marmalade (about 3 Tbsp) on top of that, but not to the edge. Leave about 1" of plain icing around the edge.
- Repeat with the middle layer.
- Place the top cake layer, then ice the sides of the cake. You can add sprinkles or colored sugar, if desired.
- Finally, ice the top and pipe rosettes or dots around the edge. Add 2 Tbsp marmalade and spread around the center.
- Serve and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.