Lentils and Spinach
Total Time: 1 hr, 20 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr, 10 mins (or see notes)
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium broth*
- 1 16-ounce jar medium salsa
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 16-ounce package brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 4-6 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a 5- or 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, and garlic. Sauté until softened, stirring frequently—about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, salsa, tomatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook until lentils are tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- Season with cayenne. Stir in spinach and parsley and cook until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
*Note from Tara
This version is vegan, but you can use chicken or beef broth and add sausage, beef, or chicken for variety. You can also put it together in the slow cooker in the morning and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.