Lobster Mac & Cheese
Total Time: 1 hr, 30 mins
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 10 servings
Dish Size: 4-Quart Baker
- 24 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1 3-pound lobster, split
- ¾ cup butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1½ tsp minced garlic
- 1½ shallots, chopped
- 15 black peppercorns
- 3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup flour
- 1½ pounds Gruyere cheese
- 4½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups Romano cheese
- ⅓ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot with lightly-salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in pasta and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta, reserving 3 cups of the water. Rinse pasta under cold water in a colander. Set aside.
- Pour 3 cups of the pasta water back into the pot. Add in lobster halves, cut side up.
- Return water to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Steam lobster just until the meat is firm and opaque, about 3 minutes. Remove lobster from pot and set aside to cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Keep the shells.
- Melt ¼ cup of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft and translucent. Place cooked onions in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add lobster shells, garlic, shallots, peppercorns, and milk into the saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes. Strain through a mesh sieve. Discard everything but the liquid.
- In another saucepan melt remaining ½ cup of butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour until a paste forms, about 5 minutes. Pour in strained milk mixture and continue to whisk over medium-high heat until mixture is thick and smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the Gruyere, cheddar, and Romano cheeses until melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cooked lobster, onions, and macaroni. Pour into your temp-tations® 4-quart baker. Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10-12 minutes or until the top is golden brown.