Mac ‘n Cheese with Sausage & Peas, Please
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Yield: 5 servings
Dish Size: 2.5-Quart Baker
This is not your typical shells and cheese recipe; by adding sausage and peas, this dish steps up from average to exceptional!
- 3 Tbspunsalted butter, divided, plus more for dish
- 12 ouncesdried macaroni pasta or other small-shaped pasta
- 8 ouncessausage, casings removed
- 3 Tbspall-purpose flour
- 2 cupswhole milk
- 10 ouncessharp white cheddar cheese, grated (3½ cups)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (5 ounces)frozen peas
- ¼ cupbreadcrumbs
- Lightly coat a 2.5-quart temp-tations® dish with butter. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1½ tablespoons of the butter. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and crumbled, about 4 minutes.
- Add remaining butter and flour to the sausage, stirring constantly until coated. Add milk, whisking constantly until boiling and thickened. Turn off heat and stir in cheese, salt, pepper, and peas; cook until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add cheese mixture to pasta and toss to coat. Pour into prepared temp-tations® dish and top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven until golden brown on top and the cheese is bubbly, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
This is easily doubled for a potluck. You can use either white or Italian breadcrumbs, whichever you prefer—and the same with the pasta. You can also try smoked sausage as an option for a little more kick, or turkey sausage for a healthier twist.