Mom's Perfect Sausage Stuffing
Mom’s Perfect Sausage Stuffing
I’ve included a number of recipes from my mom, Gail, in this cookbook (after all, she’s the one who taught me how to cook!). But if there’s one dish that truly represents her in every way, it’s this one. Even though I’ve taken over with making this for the holidays, I still think she makes it the best (maybe she adds an extra dose of love?). From the flavors of the sage and sausage to the crunch of the celery, I love it all!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins
Yield: 8-10 servings
Dish Size: 3Qt Serving Bowl with Handles or 13x9 Baking Dish
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 stick butter
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce package stuffing cubes
- 1 14-ounce package herb-seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, crumble and cook sausage for 5-7 minutes or until browned. Drain liquid and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add celery and onion and sauté for 6-8 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine stuffing cubes, stuffing mix, cooked sausage, celery mixture, egg, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add chicken broth and water; gently toss until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon stuffing into a 13x9 temp-tations® baking dish. Cover and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes or until the stuffing is heated through and the top is golden.
Tara’s Tip: Around the holidays when I know the oven will be filled to capacity, rather than baking this, I put it in a slow cooker. After 6 hours on LOW, it’s done! Just dish it up in an autumn-themed baking dish and pass it around the table.