Red, White & Blue Angel Food Cake
Total Time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 35-40 mins
Yield: 10-12 servings
Dish Size: Cake Plate
- 1 angel food box mix
- 1 pint blueberries
- 16 ounces strawberries, sliced
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Prepare angel food cake according to box directions, bake, and cool completely.
- Wash berries and dry completely with paper towels.
- To prepare whipped cream, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract in the large bowl of a stand mixer or a hand mixer with a whisk-type beater. Slowly pour heavy cream into mixture and continue beating at medium speed until mixture holds together and soft peaks form (don’t overbeat or you’ll have very sweet butter). Chill in fridge.
- Slice off top of angel food cake about 2 inches down. Set aside. With your fingers pull out cake from center, forming a channel about 1 ½—2 inches deep.
- Mix 2 cups of whipped cream with 2 ½ cups sliced strawberries and 1 ½ cups blueberries. Fill channel in cake with mixture.
- Replace top of cake and frost with remaining whipped cream, then decorate with remaining strawberries and blueberries. Serve on a temp-tations® cake plate.
This method will work with almost any fruit. It works especially well with stone fruits like peaches or apricots!