Roasted Chicken with Garlic Vinaigrette
Total Time: 1 hr, 20 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
Dish Size: 3.5-Quart Dutch Oven
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large shallots, peeled & quartered
- 1 head of garlic, cut crosswise
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken (3-5 lbs.)
- ½ lemon
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- Put 3 tablespoons olive oil into a 3.5-quart temp-tations® Dutch oven. Toss all but 2 pieces of shallot and garlic into pot along with 4 sprigs thyme and rosemary. Stir to coat and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season inside with salt and pepper. Add remaining shallot and herb sprigs to chicken. Rub chicken with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Squeeze juice from lemon half over chicken, and then put lemon inside chicken with herbs and shallots. Place chicken into pot, breast side up. Pour in wine and cover.
- Roast chicken in a preheated 450ºF oven for 60 minutes and check on it. It’s done when a thermometer placed into the thickest part of the thigh has reached 165ºF. If it’s done but not brown enough, place chicken under broiler for a few minutes. If not done, leave lid off and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter, tent loosely with foil, and let rest.
- Pour off pan drippings, measure out 6 tablespoons, and return them to the pot. Discard shallots and herbs. Hold onto garlic. Place pot over medium heat, pour in water, and bring to a boil. Boil for a few minutes, scraping up any brown bits. Allow to reduce slightly.
- In a small bowl, mash 4-6 cloves of the garlic. Whisk in mustard and vinegar, then slowly whisk in remaining pan drippings. Pour into a small pitcher.
- To serve, carve chicken, cutting into quarters or eighths, and arrange on a platter. Dress greens lightly with vinaigrette. Serve with chicken on platter.