Sloppy Joe Casserole
Total Time: 50 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yield: 6 servings
Dish Size: 4-quart dish
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 (29-ounce) cantomato sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 hamburger buns, with a few extra buns put aside
- 1 tbspn butter, melted
- coarse salt
- 1ripe avocado, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the pepper, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until cooked through and crumbled, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the meat mixture to a 4-quart temp-tations® baker. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, Worcestershire, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Meanwhile, separate the bun tops and bottoms, place on temp-tations Lid-it® or cookie sheet and toast buns in oven until crisp, about 8 minutes per side.
- Remove from oven and place the buns on top of the meat mixture in baker. Brush each bun with butter and sprinkle generously with coarse salt.
- Bake casserole uncovered for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately with sliced avocado if desired, letting everyone build their own sandwich.
Tell us what you think!