Snow Globe Cupcakes
Total Time: 1 hr + chill time
Prep Time: 30 mins + chill time
Cook Time: 20-30 mins
Yield: 12 servings
Dish Size: Cupcake Pan
- 1 box cake mix (any flavor), prepared as cupcakes
- 12 packets unflavored gelatin
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 3 drops peppermint extract
- 12 small balloons
- 1 16-ounce container of white icing
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- non-stick cooking spray
- For Snow Globes: In a small bowl, whisk together cold water and gelatin. Let gelatin bloom for 5 minutes, until water is mostly absorbed. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until gelatin is melted.
- Add sugar and peppermint extract and stir until dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes. If any foam rises to the top, skim off and discard.
- Spray balloons with non-stick cooking spray. Wipe gently with a paper towel to distribute.
- Dip each balloon in gelatin until ¾ of the way submerged. Use tape or poke a small hole above the knot to attach balloon to a skewer and stand it upright in a tall glass for 1-2 minutes. Dip in gelatin again, then stand upright in a tall glass again. If gelatin in bowl begins to set, microwave in 10-second intervals. Continue until all balloons are coated. Let balloons dry for at least 12 hours, until no longer tacky to the touch.
- To remove: Carefully detach one balloon from its skewer. Pinch a bit of the balloon near the knot, and carefully snip a small hole. Let air slowly release from balloon, then pull out of the gelatin snow globe and discard balloon. Trim edges of snow globe if uneven. Repeat with remaining coated balloons. Set snow globes upright on a baking sheet until ready to top cupcakes.
- For Cupcakes: Bake cupcakes according to directions on box. Let cool. Ice cupcakes with white icing and sprinkle coconut flakes over top.
- Arrange Christmas or winter cake decorations to form snow globe scene.
- Top cupcake with gelatin snow globe.