‘Spooky’ Meringue Ghosts
Total Time: 2 hrs, 20 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 2 hrs
Yield: 12 servings
Dish Size: Baking Sheet
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- small google eyes
- Fit a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large completely clean bowl.
- With an electric or stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat at low speed until foamy.
- Increase speed to high and add sugar slowly, a tablespoon at a time. Beat until mixture is shiny and stiff peaks form.
- Stir in vanilla extract (you can also use ½ half vanilla and ½ lemon or almond extract).
- Fit a large piping bag with a #12 or other large tip (see Tara’s Tidbits®).
- Pipe ghosts onto parchment in a clockwise motion, creating a flip top. Place eyes.
- Bake in a preheated 225ºF oven for one hour. Turn off oven and do not open oven door. Allow cookies to cool in the oven 1-2 hours before removing.
For an easier way to fill the piping bag, place tip in bottom of bag and stand bag upright in a large, tall jar to fill.