Veggie Quiche with Hash Brown Crust
Total Time: 1 hr, 20 mins
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 8 servings
Dish Size: 9" Pie Dish
Wonderfully hearty and satisfying, Veggie Quiche with Hash Brown Crust will help get you into a healthy meal routine—whether you’re vegetarian, gluten-free, cutting back on fat or cholesterol, or just looking for another meatless meal to add to your rotation. - Tara
- 4 cupsfrozen hash brown potatoes, defrosted
- 2 Tbspolive oil
- ½ tspsalt
- ¼ tsppepper
- 1 tspolive oil
- 1sweet yellow onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1red bell pepper, chopped (about 1¼ cups)
- 8 ouncessliced mushrooms
- ½ tspsalt
- 4large eggs
- 5large egg whites
- ½ tsphot sauce, optional
- ½ cupshredded low fat mozzarella cheese
- Make sure your defrosted hash brown potatoes are as dry as possible (lay them on paper towels and pat dry or wring out in a dishtowel). Mix dried potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a temp-tations® 9” pie dish with non-fat cooking spray and pour in potato mixture. Press potatoes evenly into dish, making sure they go all the way up the sides. Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 25 minutes, until crust is golden. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and peppers and cook until vegetables are softened and no liquid remains in the pan, about 5 minutes. Add ½ teaspoon salt and cook for 1 minute more. Set aside.
- Beat together eggs, egg whites, and hot sauce in a large temp-tations® bowl. Add vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared pie shell and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cooked through and slightly puffy, about 35-40 minutes. Let sit at least 5 minutes before slicing.
The potato pie shell can be made 1 day ahead and kept in the refrigerator. When ready to continue with the recipe, place baker in oven, set oven to 350°F, and allow baker and oven to preheat together. Bake for 5 minutes, then proceed with the rest of the recipe.